Monday, March 1, 2010


The dreaded blogger breakfast post!

Who really cares what I ate for breakfast, - but these two recipes are worth sharing:
Natasha's Beans and Ashley's Poor (Wo)man's Breakfast.

Tomory was out of town this past weekend, and I hate cooking for just myself (Who am I kidding? I tend to think of cooking as a chore in general...I'm usually too exhausted to cook after a day's work at the mental health clinic. Tomory cooks wonderful meals during the week, and I usually cook Sunday dinners).

The beans I made Saturday afternoon. I first sauteed 2 chopped cloves of garlic & 1/2 red onion in about 1/8 cup of olive oil. I then added 1 cup of rinsed dried black beans (no -pre soaking) to 4 cups chicken broth to the pot with the sauteed onion & garlic. I didn't have any lemon thyme, so I added a bay leaf while simmering the beans for about 1 1/2 hours. The last 20 minutes of cooking I seasoned the beans with salt & pepper, and the juice of 1 lime. Saturday night I ate them over basmati rice with 1/2 of a fresh avocado & Tapatio. Natasha is right- the flavor of the beans intensify over the next few days.
So good.


Ashley's recipe is equally simple. I used leftover rice from Saturday night, mixed with one cracked egg, fresh parsley & chives from the garden & sauteed the patty in a little olive oil, seasoned with salt & pepper. My eyes were bigger than my stomach- I couldn't eat all the food pictured above!

For those of you who may be interested: The fabric picture above is Nani Iro Antique Label from Miss Matatabi's shop.



5 comments:

Theresa said...

So your must work in mental health. I used to be an art therapist, and worked in psychiatric settings.

Anonymous said...

nothing dreaded about it, lady! your breakfast looks STUNNING! such a foolproof bean recipe. hope you had an amazing weekend!

Mae said...

Food posts with pictures are never bad!

ashley said...

yum! happy you tried it, it's so easy huh? and THANKS SO SOOO MUCH for getting a necklace! you're the sweetest. ahh, really i am so honored :) and happy you like them!

Katie said...

Once I read about the beans, I had to have them. I'm making them right now — thanks for the recipe!