Thursday, April 21, 2011

Happy Birthday Ermie

My great aunt, for whom this blog is named, was born in 1898 in Czechoslovakia -whoops - Cedar Rapids, Iowa (her parents emigrated from Czechoslovakia...thanks Mickey!) 113 years ago today!
She passed away in 1995. There have been many times I've wished that she was still here, to show her what I am doing, as tribute to her, in her name. I'd like to think that she knows anyway.

Thank-you to my cousin Michael Safranek, (who is a nurse and studies the genealogy of our family) for sending me these beautiful photos.

IMG_5870

Ermie in L.A.?? Maybe!

IMG_5869
Ermie with the girls. She is at far left.

IMG_5873

Ermie (right) with a friend.
I love her pose & attitude here.

IMG_5872

A rainy day? Ermie again is at far left.


IMG_5871

At the beach- or at least a lake or river bank. Our taste in swimwear is quite similar!


IMG_5868

Ermie later in life (at left). Love that patterned skirt :)


Happy Birthday Ermie. You are missed but not forgotten.


11 comments:

Amber said...

Wow, these are awesome. So cool that you have them.

Ana Isabel said...

These pics are amazing! You're so lucky to have them. Ermie is one stylish pretty lady.

Anonymous said...

they are beautiful photos. love all the clothes, tussled hair. you resemble her a little don't you think? those cheekbones.

Vanessa Samp said...

your great aunt ermie has timeless style! happy b-day ermie! she would be so proud for sure.
aw.
this is a beautiful post. thanks!!!

Janis said...

I want Aunt Ermie's wardrobe. A flare for fashion must run in the family :^)

Happy Birthday Ermie!

P R I M O E Z A said...

these are beautiful jennifer. i second ursula - i think your face structures look similar.

Cheryl Cambras said...

Happy Birthday, Ermie! I'd love to have hung out with you. Lovely tribute, Jennifer.

Anonymous said...

wonderful photos, so much joy and beauty. Ancestors who paved the ways for us today. Happy.

Marie said...

These old pics are great !

Jaime Rugh said...

i love this post.
so lovely and so thoughtful -

CZLion said...

What a wonderful tribute to our Aunt Ermie. I have fond memories of our visits and miss her and all of the old folks. The lady with her in the last pic is my Grandma Burrowes.

John